So a few of you have reached out looking for a good lower fat and low sugar meatloaf. It’s possible. It isn’t a protein source you should eat every day but it is a great source of Protein and you can make a yummy sammie the next day.
So how does this fit into the rules? Well, the sugar part is fine but the fat content can be more than you may be allowed. There are ways if you want to use ground turkey but then again I understand that sometimes it is hard to divorce red meat altogether. So here is my healthiest shot at Meatloaf!
The magic is BISON versus BEEF
Here’s the skinny on bison.
1. Bison is much leaner
2. Bison is much lower in calories
3. Bison is typically grass fed and allowed to roam.
4. Bison is lower in cholesterol
- 2Lbs of naturally lower in fat Bison
- 1 egg/ 1 cup of water
- 1 package of Lipton Onion soup mix
- 2 cups of bread crumbs (can use gluten free croutons if you have a dietary restriction)
- Salt, Pepper, 1 tsp Tumeric, Rosemary and Garlic granules for spices
- 2 tablespoons of A1 sauce
- Mix all together well by hand in a large bowl.
- Make a loaf..Duh.
- Place on a tin foil lined pan
- Salt and pepper the top
- Cover with a tin foil tent and remove the cover the last 20 min of bake time
- Bake at 350 for 1hr 30 min at 350.
You can add whole carrots and/or sweet potatoes in a smaller pan at the same time. Spray them with Pam and salt and pepper. Cover with tin foil. The Bison will put out a fair amount of fat/oil during the cooking process. Drain it off and allow your Bison loaf to rest for at least 10-15 min before serving.
This is a great winter meal. It is filling and healthy. Eat more vegetables than Bison but you certainly can enjoy this once in a while!