Spices became very important to me. They almost became a substitute for oils and sugary foods. Spices are well studied and have many documented health benefits.
Here are a few that I think are extremely important for optimal health:
Turmeric, the main spice in curry, is arguably the most powerful herb on the planet at fighting and potentially reversing disease.
This puts turmeric on top of the list as one of the most frequently mentioned medicinal herbs in all of science and the next most popular studied herbs include:
garlic, cinnamon, ginseng, ginger
Of the 6000+ studies referencing curcumin, the most interesting finding is that when turmeric is compared to conventional medicine its benefits equal that of many pharmaceutical medications.
I would suggest adding Turmeric to your foods and drinks as often as possible. There is an amazing drink I have before bed called Golden Milk. It is calming and delicious and I feel helps with sleep. Here is the recipe :
- 2 cups of milk of choice (almond, pecan, coconut and dairy all work in this recipe) I prefer non fat organic milk
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric (where to find it)
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon (where to find it)
- 1 teaspoon honey ( or stevia)
- Pinch of black pepper (increases absorption) Important .
- Tiny piece of fresh, peeled ginger root or ¼ tsp ginger powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- First, blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Then, Pour into a small sauce pan and heat for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Drink immediately
- Can be saved and reheated.